Thursday, February 9, 2023

Luis Cuauhtémoc Berriozábal


The Green Leaf


I feed you a leaf from 
the tree of life. I feed
you the dreams of birds.
The green leaf will grow
inside you until leaves
and more leaves spring
from your breath along
with the song of birds 
and from the dreams 
you were fed. You will
find the brightest light
in the atmosphere. And
that will be the sun. I
feed you the wind and
the clouds in the sky.
Happily, you will feed on
on green leaves and 
the songs of the city,
broken bottles and torn
leaves from the tree of life,
and the clouds will go
south and north, and
rapacious birds will sing,
a flock of them will nest
in the tree of life. Their
fragile song will linger.
They will bring joy to this 
world and hidden meanings.
I feed you another leaf
and a slender blade of
grass. I will feed you the
south wind and you will
breathe like the wind.
I will not feed you swords
or the gibberish of 
politicians with small minds.
I will feed you leaves.
I will dance with you 
as our distances close.
Come with me. I will feed
you birds and bees with
a little honey on the side.





To Love Everything 

Did you ever love everything,
especially the one that did not love you
back, the one who was the only thing 
that mattered to you, and who is gone?

You could never forget that love.
It was wrong to beat yourself up.
That love was for someone else.
You know it in your heart that is no lie.

And so you love the seasons, Spring in
full bloom. You can feel the flowers
sing, in a voice soft as its petals.

It has come to this, to love everything,
and nothing that does deserves your 
love, hate and violence, racism and war.





Flying Bird

Autumn and winter,
something breathes
a cold wind breath.
A flying bird sings
out from a leafy tree.
Its silhouette, ingrained 
in my mind, as it flies
out into the cloudy sky.

Spring and summer 
seems far away. My cold
bones and skin need
warmth as I walk just
a few steps to my
house from my car.
I still hear the flying 
bird’s song crisp and clear.

No comments:

Post a Comment

CLS Sandoval

Flowers     On the side of the road, near the place she took her last breath.   They set some tulips in a little pile.   The warms of spring...